Friday, March 19, 2010

I got asked to be a Guest Designer!!!!!!!!

I'm so excited and feel so honored. I was asked to be a Guest Designer for Stuck on U Sketches (SOUS). Here is the sketch that they emailed me.
And here is what I turned it into...(Max's LO)
And Evan's LO...

As soon as I opened the sketch, I knew exactly what I was going to do with it. That angled piece of torn paper on the sketch just said "staircase" to me and of course this is exactly how my living room looks and how we have our Christmas tree set up too. I designed and cut everything on this LO using my Gypsy and Cricut. Here is a list of what carts I used...

A Child's Year-Santa with boy
Christmas Solutions-Rocking horse, teddy bear, tree, and tree topper
Joys of the Season-Garland and ornaments
Sweethearts-Presents
George-Staircase, spindles, footboards, railing, and picture frames

The staircase was the trickiest to design but using George on every bit of it, I was able to do it. I welded a bunch of rectangles and squares together to create the base for the stairs. I cut footboards using George too. The spindles were created by welding a tall skinny rectangle with a long skinny oval and two smaller ovals. I was most proud of those. The railing is just a long rectangle. I created the frames using George as well. I just put a smaller square inside a larger one and cut it. I created my own faux wood finish by cutting everything in brown paper. I used my Zig .01 fine tip marker and just marked it up. Then I inked all the edges in black. The wood floor was assembled in strips and I added nail holes too. Everything was inked on this LO. I did heat embossing on the garland, ornaments, and tree topper. Here are some close-ups of the detailing.

Picture frame...


Wood floor...

Staircase...

And yes...call me crazy. I did make 2 LOs...one for each boys' album. So, I cut 2 of everything or in the case of the spindles...18 of them! Thank you to the SOUS DT for asking me to be a Guest Designer. I've had a blast.

19 comments:

Andrea said...

So adorable, Jennifer! Congrats on being guest designer!! You have more patience than I do to do those staircases! They look so great- and the wood floor, too!

The Cropping Canuck said...

Awesome layout! I love it! Your attention to detail is great. The wood looks like wood.

Anonymous said...

I think that this is beyond incredible!
Really LOVE this and how did I NOT know that you scrap 2 pages for each boy? that is REALLY awesome!

I am surprised at your faux wood technique. I would not think the pen would be the way but it really does look quite real! I think that's my favorite part for sure!

What a treasure these are...thank you SO much friend for being a part of our team this week!

xoxo Leah

TeenaBugg38 said...

I need a cricut!!! LOL....at first glance I thought your LO was digital. It is amazing!!!! and congrats on GDT!! SOUS is one of my favorite scrap sites!!!

amylynne said...

Congrats!! Love the staircase! Adorable layout!

Barb Craft said...

Jennifer... this is gorgeous!! Wow... I can't believe you 'hand made' all that wood!! And nails too!! The amount of detail in this/these LOs are just amazing! Congrats on your guest design spot... the certainly picked the right gal!!
Barb :)

Candice said...

BIG Congrats on being GD this week over at SOUS - they are very lucky to have you this week!!! Your LO is just amazing - you know I am in LOVE with that staircase!! The detail is just incredible as is your brilliant take on the sketch - WONDERFUL job!!!

Beth said...

Congrats for being chosen as a Guest designer! I can definitely see why! This is my first time here, but had to Thank You as I have been using your Disney albums as inspiration in one way or another for making my own for my daughter.

Now that I see your "staircase" page here, I agree with the rest that it is just amazing, but don't picture myself scrap lifting that one!

Kate716 said...

Awesome layout- you are so talented! I can only imagine how long it took you to design it! One of these days I'll get better at using my Gypsy! :)

scrappinlil said...

Oh how cute...I love all the details and congrats on being SOUS guest designer...I am also becoming a follower..TFS

Lauren said...

OMG - this is breathtaking! I saw your layout on SOUS and I had to come to leave a comment on your blog! I am blown away by this layout and I have just become a follower of your blog!

Lauren

Nanne said...

This is by far one of the best detailed layouts I have ever seen.. I love the wooden floors and stair case, its just all "WOW" to me..LOL
*Thnx for being our GD this week
Hugs
Nanné
P.S. I'm amazed that you actually made two of these..Wowzah!! :O)

AuBien said...

Congratulations! I've told you for YEARS that you were perfect for a role like this! This layout totally proves it. No looking back now! Charge on, sister!

Debbie said...

Congrats on being the Guest Deisgner at SOUS! The detail is amazing in your layout.

Jenn in MO said...

Fabulous layout!! Your detail work is incredible! TFS!!

Melissa said...

Fantastic Jennifer!

Amy said...

These layouts are absolutely AMAZING!!! Congrats on being the guest designer at SOUS.

Laurie said...

Wow! These layouts are great. Very talented lady.

Nubian Crafter said...

Wowszers... this LO is wonderful, I love all the detail... TFS